Friday, February 11, 2005

The Clinic

So it was time for my semi-annual pilgrimage to the clinic. Part of the “glamour” of being a gay man these days is going to get your HIV status checked. Basically as a left over habit from the Navy, and because it’s recommended, I get tested twice a year. And yeah, it’s not what you think. I know Catholic priests who have a more active sex life than I do. Anyways, I started going to the Whitman Walker Clinic when I came out because my loser doctor (Irish, Catholic, and not gay friendly) doesn’t actually do blood work at his office. You have to go to him to get a consult, to go someplace else to get the blood drawn. Then you have to go back to him to get the results. What a pain. Plus, with all of the crazy stuff going on these days, I’ve become a bit of a privacy nut regarding medical stuff. So the WWC does this Men’s Wellness Program which is confidential and they check you out for all sorts of fun things. Yes, remember boys when you “choose” to be gay, it’s isn’t all fashion and parties.

Anyways, while WWC does a great job and provides a very needed service, it’s still a bit bizarre to go there. Every time I’ve been, there’s been a very interesting slice of society there. Every age, every race, every income level. Some guys are in suits, some are in jeans, some are in work/uniform type clothes. And it’s quiet. Everyone is there for the same reason, and it’s totally anonymous (you’re just a number). So unless you are there with a friend, it’s just very quiet. So after filling out all of the fun paperwork, you then shuffle from office to waiting room to office to waiting room to office. Syphillis, clamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV. It’s pretty much a full service check up. In between blood offerings, you get the opportunity to talk with outreach counselors. So it’s a pretty involved process and it’s done fairly smoothly. But it’s not done very quickly. And since there’s no talking, you’re pretty much left alone to think. And considering where you are and the situation, the thoughts aren’t necessarily fun happy thoughts. Was I safe *every* time? Did he lie about his status? What happens if I am? What does that mean? How quick can I get on the right medication? How expensive will it be? What will the side effects be? How will it effect my life, my job, my family, my friends, . . . . It’s a pretty severe downward spiral if you aren’t careful. Lesson learned: bring a book. And a light fluffy book at that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home