Sunday, August 14, 2005

Everything I Know I Learned from Madonna

Yep, last night was Madonna-rama at Nation. One of my friends told me that if I didn’t go, my gay card would be revoked. So I gave in to peer pressure and went. But going to Nation at my age requires planning. You just *can’t* get to Nation before 1130, it’s simple not done. Plus, the main dance hall doesn’t open till midnight, at the earliest. So after a power disco nap Saturday afternoon, I was ready for my night of clubbing. Dressed in cargo shorts and a tank top (the requisite circuit boi uniform) I picked up my friend and we headed to SW DC.

The place was packed and I did see some “Boy Toy” belt buckles a la “Like A Vigin” and some cowboy hats a la “Don’t Tell Me.” Personally I liked the “Kabbalist Do It Better” t-shirt.

Nation on Saturday night is predominantly gay, but last night it was very mixed. And it had a great vibe to it. I will say that most of the time Nation doesn’t do it for me. The music is good, but there are usually no, or very little, words to the music. The endless techno beat is good if you are rolling on X, but for those of us who are not flying, some words are nice. And that’s what makes Madonna-rama so great. Not only are there words, but everyone knows the words. Everyone is dancing and singing and just having the best time.

It was hot and sweaty in the big hall. Shirts were off and sweat was rolling off everyone’s bodies. You bumped into someone and you felt your sweaty back slide across theirs. And everyone was moving to the groove.

So Everything I Know I Learned from Madonna:

  1. “Music makes the people come together – Yeah!” – Music
  2. “Nothing really matters - Love is all we need” – Nothing Really Matters
  3. “You're so consumed with how much you get, You waste your time with hate and regret” – Frozen.
  4. “Don't want to grow old too fast, Don't want to let the system get me down, I've got to find a way to make the good times last, And if you show me how, I'm ready now.” – Where’s The Party
  5. “Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free” – Into the Groove
  6. “You deserve the best in life, So if the time isn't right then move on, Second best is never enough, You'll do much better baby on your own.” – Express Yourself
  7. “It makes no difference if you're black or white, If you're a boy or a girl, If the music's pumping it will give you new life, You're a superstar, yes, that's what you are, you know it.” – Vogue
  8. “I think when love is pure you try, To understand the reasons why, And I prefer this mystery, It cancels out my misery” – Rescue Me
  9. “I traveled round the world, Looking for a home, I found myself in crowded rooms, Feeling so alone.” – Drowned World/Substitute for Love
  10. “Why's it so hard to love one another, Why's it so hard to love” – Why’s It So Hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home