Friday, December 24, 2004

A Tale of Two Television Channels

My Christmas vacation can be boiled down to a Tale of Two Television Channels.

My parents have the television on all of the time. They listen to Al Jazeera, oops, I mean, Foxs News Network, all day long. So it's just a constant stream of right wing, jingo-istic, partisan, diatribe all day long. With the recent suicide attack in Mosul, it's all bad news, all the time. And I'm not belittling what happened there, it's a awful loss and I feel horribly for the horrible loss of the life and my heart goes out to their families and loved ones. But do we need to hear about it over and over and over again. Pictures of the wounded, the blast scene, etc. It's pretty graphic. And it's what Fox shows all the time. Every hour. All day. It's pretty overwhelming.

Which brings me to the alternative. Needless to say, my sister (mother of two small children) is sensitive to all of the explicit images and bad news being spewed by Fox News. So for the kiddies, we've got PBS. Clippper, Sesame Street, and (God help me) Barney. The children don't really watch it either, it's just sort of background noise for their rampaging around the house. But I can't stop hearing the aweful little kids songs. They creep into my subconscious and I just want to hurt someone. And when Barney sings, I just want to pour hot wax in my ears. Someone please stop the madness.

Fox or PBS? Bill Orielly or Barney? What hell am I living in?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home