Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Pain

"Sometimes, pain is all that lets you know you're alive."

An interesting line to read at 4 AM at the emergency room.

So . . . . . wasn't feeling well yesterday. Just kind of put it off and didn't think about it. Busy at work and I just don't have time to be sick. Went out to dinner with a friend. Still not feeling well and realized mid-way through the meal that I was basically sitting on the edge of my seat with a stiff back so that I would not be in pain. Wasn't sure what the deal was, but went home and just decided to call it a night. When I laid down, that's when I realized that I really couldn't take a deep breathe without some serious tightening, cramping, pain in my lower right stomach area. I tried about a thousand positions, but nothing was working. If I breathed really shallowly, then it only hurt a bit. But I started to feel dizzy from trying to breathe so lightly. And the pain was just getting to the point where I couldn't take it any more. So around 1AM, I got dressed and headed down to the GW ER. The Ronald Reagan Wing. As a walking, talking, non-bleeding patient, I was immediately moved to the front of the line. ; ) At first they thought my lung had partially collapsed which happens a lot to tall skinny guys. Hmm, not so much. Did the chest x-ray thing and it was good. Waited for a couple of hours to see the doc and they finally determined that I've partially torn a muscle in my stomach that is basically aggravated when I breathe. So they told me to take it easy and drug myself until I feel better. The Dr was nice, but her bedside manner was a little off putting. Trying to get a cab home at 4ish in the morning in DC is challenging. I got home around 430 and found my last remaining percocete from a long time ago and took that so I could sleep a bit.

I blame my trainer. For many things. But I think the psycho side twist crunch things we did Monday night may not have been a good thing. My dad says, "A little pain is a good thing." I agree, but sometimes, a lot of pain is just a lot of pain.

Oh, the line from up above? It's from "Crossroads of Twilight" by Robert Jordan. Yeah, I took a book to the ER. I'm hoping the Tylenol PM works for me tonight.

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Please take it easy and get better soon...and stay OUT of the gym for awhile!!
J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home