Friday, March 09, 2007

DC Homo Bloggerati Unite!

So I've been thinking that it would be really cool to get all of the DC gay bloggers together. There are a lot of smart, funny, sarcastic, introspective, personal, political you name it gay bloggers out there in those internet tubes and I think it would be great to have some sort of gay blogger event. When I first moved to DC, I attended the Homo Blogjam at DC9. It was really the tipping point that lead to my own little piece of the blogosphere and I was just amazed at all of the great speakers who read from their blogs. NYC has their own monthly event called WYSIWYG Talent Show and it sounds like it's amazing according to Joe. And I kept thinking that there should be something like that in DC. Maybe not monthly. But maybe every other month? Or something. And I waited. Because there are a lot of good bloggers out there, I was sure there would be a Homo Blogjam #2. But no so far.

So I've decided to try to organize a little something. I've been in email contact with the owner of the new sportsbar called Nellies to see if we could hold an event there. And seriously what better place to have a DC Homo Bloggerati Night than at a bar called Nellies! And I think that might work.

So anyways, I'm going to try to contact as many gay bloggers out there to see if there is interest in doing this. I'm probably going to be leaving some comments on some of my favorite 'mo bloggers and hopefully the word will get out. If anyone is interested, please contact me at DCHBlog@gmail.com. And if anyone wants to help me try to organize this, that would be cool also.

And if no one wants to do a blogjam type event, then we can always do a blarg hop. Or we could do both.

So what do you think?

(I'm not sure who first coined the term homo bloggerati, but hat tip to you!)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I probably did not actually invent the term "Homo Bloggerati", though I'll take credit for having made it hip. Such is my way.

Count me in, killer.

Chin up,
S!

http://theseanshow.net

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, like...Sean beat me to it!

I am SO in. Sean and I talked about doing this last October, but we never got our act together. Let us know if you need us to put The Vodka Manx hat on so you have a DJ act.

Balls low,
A!

http://www.subwaystate.com

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Jimbo3DC said...

I'm willing to help out, but it's a busy time of year for me at my real job. I have advice from doing it here and in NYC.

1. No reading from laptops. It puts a shield between the reader and the audience, and technical problems come with the laptop.

2. 8 minutes max, that's 5 pages double-spaced. And advise them to practice, practice, practice. It really improves the reading. If they don't time and practice, some readings go on and on...

3. Keep it within an hour, then let the people dance.

4. Give the readers a theme, something for you to help market with. The WYSIWYG Show in NYC has themes like 'Summer Camp', 'Worst.Sex.Ever.' and 'Jobs from Hell'.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Jimbo3DC said...

Ooops, that last comment was from Jimbo.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I might have to come up with a summer camp story? God help me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home