Saturday, June 04, 2005

Do I know you?

She said as she squinted at my name tag. She had to look twice. I'm not sure if it was because my handwriting was so bad, or if she was so drunk.

"Do I know you?" She asked again with a slight slur to her voice. "Or do you know me?"

I looked at her closely. Short brown hair with bad highlights, too much make up, a very small top that wasn't exactly demure. I did look at her name tag, conveniently placed to allow one to look inside the top if one was so inclined. I didn't recognize the name.

"No, I don't think I know you. I don't think we had any classes together." I replied.

"Fine, then get out of my way, I want to find people I know." She said as she bumped into me slightly as she worked her way to the next group of people.

Ah yes reunions. Aren't they a blast?

My 2oth high school reunion. It kind of came up on my without me thinking about it. 20 years since I graduated from Wasson High School in Colorado Springs. I don't think about it much. Being an army brat, I moved around alot and I came to Wasson at the beginning of my junior year in high school. High school wasn't overly bad for me. I wasn't out, but I was decidely different. Never a good thing. I was the new guy, smart, fat, funny. Those were just some of the descriptions of me in high school. I had a small group of friends but somehow we lost touch over the years. I would run into them randomly when I came home to visit my parents, but we never kept in touch.

Now I'm not so sure what I would have in common with them. Some of my friends we're like "Dan and I went to school with each other since 1st grade." Yeah, that's not me. My friendships are few and spurious. Being in the Navy didn't help. Get to a new place, make friends, and then move again and slowly loose touch with them. Do you see a pattern? And will I be able to have better, deeper friendships now that I'm staying in one place long enough?

1 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger kob said...

Nice post -- I can't believe that woman. I'm so glad I'm ducked out of my 20th. Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home