Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Situational Awareness

Situational Awareness is the new buzzword in the Department of Defense. It's all about knowing what is going on around you. Pulling in the data from various sensors, reports, etc and then use that information to help you engage then enemy.

In today's society, situational awareness is also an every day survival tool. Bad things can happen to good people at almost any time and to protect yourself you need to know where you are, what's going on around you, potential threats, potential escape routes, etc.

I've traveled around the world, to some not very friendly places, and it's just become second nature to me. Walking in a crowded souk in Oman, or down a dark street in Russia, you just need to be aware of your surroundings.

Chris Crain is the editor of the Washington Blade and he was recently gay-bashed in Amsterdam. Yes Amsterdam. A very friendly city, a very gay friendly city. During Queen's Weekend which is a big gay holiday. But he was attacked not be a Dutch citizen, but by a group of North African, presumably Muslim, immigrants. So even in a presumbably safe environment, bad things can happen.

So after looking at the pic of Chris, do I feel different about my little bit of bravado last weekend? I'm not sure. I still think standing up for myself was important. And it was 1030 on a Saturday morning in front of Whole Foods. There were plenty of people around and it was just one guy. So on balance I'd say I was pretty safe. The bad thing is that one knife, or gun, could have made the situation completely different. That's what scary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home