Sunday, May 08, 2005

Flavor of the Week? Cherry!

Another bizzarro weekend, but in a different way.

I spent Friday night in, just recuperating and relaxing from my trip to Charleston last week.

On Saturday, after the gym, I met up with some gay USNA alumni for a brunch in Dupont. Some of them were new faces, some of them old friends from our trip to Annapolis last fall or my trip to San Francisco in January. One of them was a guy I had known while on active duty, then seen again in Sydney Australia after I had gotten out, and then seen again a couple of years ago in Rosslyn. Talk about random meetings. Just too weird. As usual, the stories from our lives were familiar, and yet different, and ranged from those who had been forced out of the Academy, to those who had served for 20 years. The meeting was a little bitter sweet as the Alumni Association Board of Trustees failed to address the non-discrmination clause that we had proposed. They claim they want to support diversity, well here was your chance. And it got stalled in the governance committee.

Saturday night was the Service Member's Legal Defense Network National "End the Witchhunt" Dinner. A group of us went and it was a really special night. I saw some of the A-list gays (hate them!) plus some other people I knew of. SLDN does really good work and while I think we are a long way off from repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" I think we need to keep up the good fight. Former Ambassador Carol Mossley Braun gave the keynote speech and it was awesome. The dinner was fun, but the speeches were a bit too long. After dinner, J. and I raced back to my place to do a uniform change.

Cherry is the big circuit party for DC. So after swapping the tux for some shorts and a t-shirt, we headed to the Andrew Mellon Auditorium down on Constitution Ave. The big *news* is that the GSA (which runs that space since it's in a government building) decided to relent and allow the users (which would be all of the hot gay men) to dance with their shirts off. Hello, how can you have a circuit party without hot shirtless men? The space was amazing, the lighting was great, the crowd was okay (more on that later), and the music was okay. Was there a single word sung during the 3 plus hours we were there? No. It was all "bottles and pans" type music. Great if you are dancing in a "manufactured joy" haze, otherwise not so much. The crowd was definitely in interesting mix. I think I did see three lesbians and may half a dozen straight women. The men ranged from supernova "hot" to "damn it's cold can you put your shirt back on please." But I'd say it was mainly the warm side of the scale. After the "main" event, we went to an after hours party at Platinum where the music was better, the men were hotter, and we just had a good time. Until about 4AM which is when my red bull wore off and my feet were killing me and I realized it was time to go.

Men. Circuit men are, for the most part, very good looking. After another chance to observe them in their natural habitat (which involves lots of dark spaces, black lighting, smoke, fog, and lights that flash to the beat of the music), I've determined that there are two basic species. There's the homo maximus. He's huge. As in "I'd like a double steriod latte please." Which, of course, is a look I like. J. called me an "arm whore" since I'm attracted to guys with big biceps. Guilty as charged. The homo maximus generally tend to stick to their own. They dance (if you want to call their odd body movements, hindered by over developed muscles, dancing) in groups. Their drug of choice is X or maybe GHB. The other species is homo minimus. He's skinny. He's got the lean, cut look down pat. Old jewish women see him and cry as they try to push food at him. He loves his coke and tina. Tina lets him dance, not for hours, but for days. And who needs food when you've got music to feed your soul. Or something like that. Homo minimus goes into their dance haze and they will dance with anyone or anything. I saw one dancing with a mirror. They looked good. The problem is that eventually they get that really skinny, gaunt look and then that's when they get cut from the herd.

Sunday AM, J and I hit Kripy Kreme (hmmm, doooonnnnuuuttts!) and then had lunch. Then we decided to hit the T dance. The funny thing about the T-dance was that it was so odd to be dancing in a small dark crowded room and look out the window and see the sunny sky out there. I would have preferred an outdoor tea dance a la Ptown. But I will say the music was the best we heard all weekend and there were several homo maximus's who I had seen the night before looking all hot and bothered, plus some homo-minimus's who haven't stopped dancing since Friday night. And there was me, sober and just dancing away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home