Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Reunions: It's *NOT* all about me.

But I don't think it's all about you either. But maybe I'm judging you (and find you lacking) merely because you are in fact reading my blog. ; )

So the second night of the reunion was similar to the first, except with less alcohol. Which allowed me to be a bit more observant and introspective.

Okay, there were over 400 people in my graduating class, but only 80 showed up for the 20th reunion. So who are those 80 people? As I walked around and nodded to some, chatted with some, and ignored the rest (intentionally and unintentionally), I realized that reunions aren't for people like me.

Reunions are for the in-crowd, the jocks, the cheerleaders, etc. After dinner, we had a slide show/video presentation. What did we see? Pictures of football players, basketball players, wrestlers, cheerleaders, the homecoming court. Basically your A list crowd. Even the non-school pictures showed the same people. A group of people chugging beer at some party. A group of people cutting class and smoking in their van. If there were 400 people in my class, we saw maybe 100 pictures of the same 20 people. It was all about them.

Where were the band fags, the drama queens, the geeks (though I think we called them nerds then)? First of all notice the perjorative terms that we had back then, that still carry forward to this day. Second of all, why aren't their pictures of them in the slide show? Were there any pictures of them from 20 years ago, or did the group who put the slide show up just not have any? And thirdly, where were these people at the reunion? For the most part, they didn't show up. Oh some did, a couple of band types, a couple from the smart clique. But for the most part, I'd say 80% of the people who showed up for the reunion were from the A list crowd.

Now I'm not bitter. Seriously. I got to meet some of my friends from high school. I spent some time with my parents. It was a good trip overall. But I think I'm more interested in trying to get my group of friends together when we can, as opposed to a scheduled reunion which isn't about us anyways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home