Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Prevarications (Part 2)

Half truths and lies. Sounds familiar doesn't it? You can't pick up a paper, or turn on the news, without some sort of distortion going on. The war in Iraq. Price gouging on oil prices. "We don't torture."

I heard Sen. Frist on TV talk about how they are bringing fiscal responsibility to Washington? Umm, hello, remember that Transportation Bill? It had so much pork in it you could go on the Atkins diet for years. How about the $223 million dollar bridge to an island that has FIFTY people on it? How fiscally responsible is that?

Apparently VP Cheney, in 51 separate instances has lied or exaggerated claims about Iraq to justify the war. Check out this report.

I guess all of this stuff just rubs me the wrong way because we should expect honesty, integrity, and accountability from our leaders. That's the Navy in me crying out. I want to believe in my President, I want to support him. And yet every day, more and more lies, half truths, and deceptions come out. And it's not just our leaders these days, it's everyone.

This is the new acceptable behavior. A common mixture of half truths and distorted facts to justify what someone has done, or to justify why it's not their fault.

I actually know someone who has the following in their email signature block:

"I solemnly swear to tell the truth as I know it, the whole truth as I believe it to be, and nothing but what I think you need to know."

Nice. It's his truth, and if pesky little facts don't support his truth, then he's not going to tell you. Now how much would you trust this person?

Sound like anyone you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home