Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Saga of the White Shirt

So . . . when I was in Mexico, Greek Boy and I hit Playa Del Carmen to do some shopping. I had already picked up the mayan art work that I wanted, so I just sort of window shopped. The main street was a strange collection of high end stores (Modavi watches, Lacoste shirts), liquor stores (get your tequila!), and then of course the low end, touristy shirts with such classic t-shirts as "Eat my burrito" and the one with the international sign for giving head. Nice.

But we did wander into one mid-range store that sold those cool white, light, cotton shirts. Now, white is the new black, so I had to take a look. I really don't have any casual white shirts as they usually don't look good on me. It's my body type. But still I look. You never know when you might find something that works. Sadly most of the shirts, while nice, had a little Playa del Carmen logo on them and that was just not going to work. But I did find one that had promise. It had these cool ridges, almost like a tuxedo shirt look, to it. I tried it on, and it was okay. But I thought it had some promise, so I went ahead and got it.

Around the corner from my house, I've found a nice little old lady who does alterations. I've taken some pants for work there and I've seen her do other things, so I thought I would see if she could fix up the shirt. So I tried it on and explained that I wanted the shirt to be even on the bottom, more of a casual, wear un-tucked look. Oh, and I want the sleeves shorter. The sleeves are too long and I do have some okay guns, so I want to show them off. So she pinned me up and and said it would be done in 2 days.

So I went back in 3 days. It wasn't done. Come back tomorrow. I come back the next day, it's not done. I'll do it this afternoon, I come back 2 days later and it's still not done. Now I'm not mad at her at all. Really. I'm in no rush, this is really a late summer shirt when it gets really hot and sticky here in DC. But still, I'm kind of looking forward to it. But she keeps getting pulled away to do prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, things like that. Things with a real deadline. So I'm like okay. But at some point, this becomes a bit ridiculous. But after two weeks, I get my shirt. And it's nice. I go home, I try it on, and I look in the mirror and . . . . . well, it's not quite right. I guess with the long sleeves, the weight of the material kept the sleeves laying flat against my arms. But since the sleeves were cut short, the sleeves were sticking up and our like I had little horns on my arms. Just not good.

Now I've paid some decent kwan to buy the shirt. More kwan to get it altered once. And now I need to get it altered again. And I'm just a little bit embarassed to go back to the little lady around the corner. So I take it into place near my office, and the little old lady there said that she was busy, and that she couldn't fix the sleeves. I'm like what? But nevermind. So I finally bite the bullet and go back to the lady around the corner. We talk and she thinks she understands what needs to be done. It will be ready tomorrow. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow, you're only a day away! As if. Try over a week. But she didn't charge my any more for the final alterations. And it looks fabulous! I'll post a pic when I get a chance to wear it.

Yes, this is as exciting as my life gets sometimes. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home