Thursday, July 20, 2006

Everybody Needs Love

So I sort of snaked a boondoggle on Tuesday in advance of my min-vacation. But in hindsight, it wasn't really that much of a boondoggle. It was a good meeting and I can bring a lot of operational experience that my developer and the borg drone don't have. So it wasn't a complete boondoggle. But it did get me up to Boston a day earlier than planned and I ended up catching the last fast ferry to Ptown that afternoon.

The ferry ride was pretty boring and I spend most of it thinking about all of the work stuff that I needed to do. Kind of having seconds thoughts about taking the time off. I mean, I'll still be on email, but there's just a lot of stuff going on that's hard to do via email. But then the ferry rounded the cape and we pulled into Ptown. The sun was slowing making it's descent over the town and the clouds were glorious in various shades of orange and red. I walked down the peir into the town and I just felt so at peace, so happy, so restful. It was like I was coming home after a long trip. It really was such an odd, and wonderful, feeling. As I pulled my luggage through the crowds on Commercial Street, I saw a woman walk by with a t-shirt that read: "Everybody Needs Love" and I just smiled. I passed the portugese bakery, the typical tourist t-shirt shops, and various restaurants through the crowd full of locals, straight families, gay men and women of every color. All were just strolling along this very pleasant summer evening. It was just amazing.

The next day I had a leisurely get up, checked email, then rented a bike and rode to the trailhead for the beach. It's probably only about 3/4 of a mile along the highway where the trail starts for the beach. Then it's a good 30 minute walk across the sandy tidal flats to the dunes, and then the beach. It was a little bit cloudy, warm, with just enough breeze to keep it from getting too hot. I found a small hollow in a dune to spread my old USNA blue bed spread and camp out. In the sun, but taking advantage of the breeze to keep cool. My afternoon was tough. I'd lie on my back and read my magazine. And then I would roll over to my stomach and read some more. And then I would do it all again. It was a great start to my vacation.

After I had reached my max sun intake for the day, I trudged back across the tidal flats and then rode my bike back into town. I had just enough time to eat, shower, and get ready to go to the T-dance. The world famous Ptown T-dance is held at the Boatslip which has a big deck for everyone to just socialize, mingle, and flirt while sipping the bevarage of your choice. It also has a small little dance floor that draws me like a fly. I've become friends with the DJ and I chatted with her a bit. She had wondered where I was this summer since I usually come earlier. But I was there and after a Cape Cod (natch!) I was on the dance floor getting my groove on. Unlike most dance clubs with the perma-beat, the DJ plays alot of dance remixes with lots of vocals (my fav!) and when she start to spin the new Natasha Bedingfield song, I was just in heaven. She played an amazing set and it was the perfect first t-dance.

After the T-dance I strolled main street and just did some window shopping. I always find the best clothese here. But most of them are not necessarily stuff I can wear anywhere else. But still it's nice to look. After that, I came back to my guest house to check email, and then get changed to go out and hit the bars. Yes, that's one of the problems with Ptown. It required several costume changes. You need to have your breakfast clothes, your go to beach clothes, your T-dance clothes, your wander the street window shopping and checking out the galleries clothes, and then your going out at night clothes. It's hard, but it's the price we pay to be fashionable.

Anyways, I'm on day 2 of my vacation and it's overcast outside. We're expecting to get side swiped by a hurricane, so I called off my beach day. I think I'm just going to wander down the east side of town and check out the art galleries today.

And I'm not checking email any more!

1 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Vig said...

Take a look at #7 Gosnold. It's next to the pharmacy. We don't get to see it this year. How are the birdhouses holding up?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home