Thursday, May 04, 2006

Two Kinds of Pain and more quotes

So I’ve experienced two kinds of pain this week. Well two kinds of physical pain. Earlier this week I went to the dentist. I’m usually pretty good about my dental hygiene, but at some point I lost my dental floss. It fell in a drawer or something. So I took a “flossing vacation.” Then a couple of weeks ago I get this little postcard, “Just a dental reminder . . .” and I’m like, “Oh crap, I need to floss, bad!” And I did. But it wasn’t enough. No cavities, but when the dental hygienist started working on my plaque I was just cringing in pain. It got so bad that I actually pushed her hand away from my mouth. I just needed a moment of non-pain. Afterwards I joked that I was going to get my back waxed and I would let her know which hurt worse.

So today after my haircut, I got my back waxed. Now the irony of this is that Joe has been talked male grooming and various implements yesterday and linked to this hilarious commercial. Ah yes, the gays already knew about the optical inch, it’s about time the straight guys caught on. Anyways, I got my back waxed. The hot wax kind of felt good and it sort of tickled me. What was not ticklish is when the little old lady (don’t ask) started pulling out my hair using those little cloth things. It didn’t HURT hurt. But it was definitely a bit painful. Sort of like a lot of mosquito bites. Over and over and over again. But nothing compared to the dentist pain. It wins hands down. Now my back is smooth and I’m ready for my vacation. I did not wax my chest. That’s just plain wrong. However, there is nothing wrong with a little bit of grooming to take care of any unsightly, freakish, chest hairs to make for a more pleasant, yet still, manly appearance.

Oh, so I totally forgot a great quote from yesterday:

“Simplistic arguments are seductive to those who wish to be seduced.” Copperred. He was ranting about the insanity of the immigration issue and I completely agree. But this is really a more all purpose quote. It can be used when discussing WMD, NSA wire tapping, torture, etc. I just kills me that instead of engaging their own brains, so many people are perfectly happy to be led down a certain path that they sort of want to go down anyways without bothering to look at the actual evidence and facts being offered in the argument, or looking at who is making the argument and what their intentions are.

Another one of my great blog reads is from the Anonymous Liberal. His blog has a quote at the top of it that says, "The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment." -Bertrand Russell. And that’s so me.

I used to wonder if I thought too much about this stuff and then I remembered a great quote from “My So Called Life”:

"What I was thinking, as like a New Year's resolution, is to stop getting so caught up in my own thoughts, 'cause I'm like way too introspective...I think. But what if not thinking turns me into this shallow person? I better rethink this becoming less introspective thing."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home